Candles are a wonderful way to create ambiance and enjoy their pleasant aromas. However, it is important to practice safe candle burning to prevent fires. Each year, thousands of house fires are started by candles. While a lit candle can be relaxing and add to the atmosphere of any room, it is important to be vigilant to prevent accidents.
Below are some tips for safe candle burning:
1. Always trim your candle wicks to ¼ inch before each use. By doing this, you are promoting an even burn and helping to prevent soot buildup on the glass. Did you also know that trimming the wick before each burn could help avoid the flame from growing out of control and ultimately a house fire? This is why it is very important to trim the wicks on all your candles.
2. Use a long match or lighter to light your candle, this will help keep your hand away from the flame. Make sure to properly dispose of the match. There is still heat even when there is no flame. So, believe it or not, you can start a fire simply by tossing a match into the trash. Particularly if it is surrounded by flammable materials such as tissues and paper. That is why, before throwing out used matches, we recommend running them under water to cool them down. You can, however, let them come to room temperature on a flame-resistant dish.
3. Choose the best location to enjoy the scent. A candle should be burned on a stable, heat-resistant surface. In addition to keeping your candle visible, you should choose a location away from children, pets, windows, drafts, ceiling fans, and flammable materials (like furniture, curtains, carpeting, paper, etc.). This will help reduce the likelihood of candle disasters and will help prevent uneven burning and flickering. (Are you wondering why you should be concerned about windows? Here are the details: A draft from a window or a poorly insulated area can carry a flame, causing nearby items to catch fire.)
4. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Always keep an eye on your candle. You should be present whenever a candle is lit in the room. After all, keeping it nearby is just one way to prevent damage. Staying within your line of sight will allow you to determine whether or not it requires immediate attention. Remember to keep burning candles within your sight!
5. Never use a candle as a nightlight or while sleeping.
6. Separate burning candles by at least three inches. This is to prevent them from melting each other or creating drafts that cause the candles to burn improperly.
7. Always keep your candle free of wick trimmings, matches, and debris, as these can catch fire.
8. Do not burn for more than four hours. When you burn a candle, carbon accumulates on the wick. Allowing it to burn for too long can cause the wick to become unstable and the flame to become too large. Extinguish candles when they reach ½ inch in diameter of wax remaining.
9. To extinguish a candle, use a candle snuffer. It's the most secure way to keep hot wax from splattering. Never use water to put out a candle. Water can cause splattering of hot wax and breakage of glass containers. Before leaving the room, make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing. Touch or move the candle only after it has completely cooled. Never touch or move a burning candle. Wait until it has cooled completely before attempting to trim. To remove wax drippings from a glass holder, never use a knife or a sharp object. If used again, it may have scratched, weaken, or broke the glass.
10. When using candles during a power outage, exercise extreme caution. During a power outage, flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of illumination. During a power outage, never use a candle to search for items in a closet or to fuel equipment such as a lantern or kerosene heater.
The above tips and tricks should help you extend the life of your candles while also ensuring that they burn evenly and safely.
When dealing with burning candles, it's also critical to be cautious and always prioritize safety.
We hope you found this article useful and that you will enjoy your candles more.
Free Shipping Within U.S No MinimumsFree shipping when you order over XXYou Have Qualified for Free ShippingSpend $x to Unlock Free ShippingYou Have Achieved Free ShippingFree Shipping For Over $x toFree Shipping Over $x toYou Have Achieved Free ShippingFree shipping when you order over XXou Have Qualified for Free Shipping